CTRSI - CanTRA Senior Instructor (formerly CTRI)
The recommended pathway for certification is progressive through each certification level, starting with the Basic Instructor. (Please review the skills and knowledge required for the CTRBI and CTRII on the previous pages). It is strongly recommended tht each candidate progress from the Basic Instructor to the Intermediate Instructor to Senior Instructor. In this way a, thorough knowledge base is established as the candidate advances through the levels (i.e. Basic and Intermediate Instructor) and the CanTRA Senior Instructor comes to Therapeutic Riding through the Equine Canada coaching stream as an Instructor of Beginners, Competition Coach or EC Western Level 1 Coach or higher. Their equestrian skills and experience have complied with Equine Canada's coaching standards int the areas of Stable Management, Horsemanship and Teaching of able-bodied riders. Therefore, candidates for the CTRSI will be focused on the specialization of skills, knowledge of disabilities and experience required in teaching riders with disabilities.
CanTRA Senior Instructor curriculum outline
Volunteer Training - overseeing volunteer orientation and ongoing training and safety
Mounting/Dismounting - all types of mounts including lift/no lift for non-weight bearing riders
Teaching - 1:4 lesson plans and ability to show progression of learning outcomes, advanced knowledge of disabilities, problem solving, special equipment, Log Book and 10 week Student Report
Safety - responsible for all safety protocols and adherence to National Safety Standards for CanTRA centres
How do I bypass the Basic Instructor and the Intermediate Instructor?
- Complete 100 hours experience with a CanTRA therapeutic riding program.
- Complete Home Study for CTRBI with review.
- Complete written exam for Basic and Intermediate instructor levels with a pass mark of 75%.
- Sign a waiver stipulating that the candidate a has decided to bypass the previous levels and that they accept responsibility for the outcome of the exam. Mentor is required to co-sign that, in their opinion the candidate is competent to bypass the Basic and Intermediate Instructor and achieved the requirements of the Senior Instructor.
Cost of Tuition
Those candidates with CTRII take an average of two years to complete the CTRSI process.
Total cost of the CanTRA Senior Instructor is $1025.00 this can be paid in full OR with a 205.00 deposit and the balance paid quarterly over one year. This tuition includes your CanTRA membership for 2 years the two part Home Study (Teaching Principle and Movement and Disability) CanTRA Instructor Manual the Technical Evaluation, Exam, CanTRA Senior Instructor certificate and name badge.
Requirements of CanTRA Senior Instructor upon application:
- Be a minimum of 25 years of age during the certification process
- Be a full CanTRA individual member
- Proof of Standard First Aid & CPR: St. John Ambulance or Ski Patrol Course, Red Cross or equivalent.
- Submit copy of certification with Equine Canada as an Instructor of Beginners, Competition Coach, Western Coach One, or higher. CanTRA will also accept equivalent certfications from other internationally accepted programs for this pre-requisite.
Before applying for the Technical Evaluation
- Submit completed CTRSI Home Study.
- Complete a minimum of 20 hours with a CanTRA qualified mentor.
- Submit a draft Log Book.
- Submit a 10 week Student Report
All requirements must be complete and submitted prior to applying for the Technical Evaluation, no exceptions will be made.
Before applying for the Exam
- Review recommendations of the CanTRA Course Conductors from the Technical Evaluation and ensure that candidate has addressed all concerns/areas needing improvement.
- Submit Final Log Book and 10 week Student Report., if not complete.
- Submit written exam under the supervision of an approved invigilator a minimum of 3 weeks prior to scheduled exam date.
All prerequisites must be complete and submitted prior to applying for the Exam no exceptions will be given.
How do I find a CanTRA Centre?
What if I need help?
Hands-on experience will always be the best method for learning.
Remember our goal is to help you be successful
How do I get started?
To register, simply complete a Certification Registration Form and submit it with the required prerequisites and your deposit to the CanTRA office. Once registered, (we will send your instructor manual and Home study if you are bypassing) and you are on your way. If you have questions the CanTRA Head Office can assist in finding answers.
CanTRA 5420 Highway 6 N, Guelph, ON N1H 6J2 Phone 519-767-0700, Fax 519-767-0435